Monday 16 July 2018

Feathers

I love feathers. Of all kinds of birds, in all shapes and sizes. They remind me of lightness and I keep using feather patterns in my art projects.
After I had made my June postcards I had some of the coloured watercolour paper left over. It would have been a waste to throw them out and so I went ahead and made some feathers out of the scraps. I tried to use as much of the paper as I could and ended up with differently sized feathers which I then made into a fan with a brad and srap paper discs.



Making my feathered fan gave me an idea for the end of year teachers gifts in my local playschool, after all they looked after all of my children and now my last set of kids is moving on into big school I wanted to make the teachers gifts a little special. 
So I took papers and my trusty Gelatos and made more colourful paper to cut out my feathers from. I had to make 5 feathers in total for 5 teachers, and out of each paper piece I got a big feather and 4 small feathers.



Cutting out some details and marking the feather lines with my paint markers. I had planned to attach the little feathers with the furry string you see in the next picture but I changed my plans and improvised...



Apart from the feathers I also made hand tie dyed bandana scarves. I made 6 scarves, wrapped them all and then chose 5 at random for gifts, this is the one that was then left for me...



And the little feathered scarf gift parcels all done up. As you can see I ended up using brads to attach the small feathers.



The large feathers all have a Thank You note written on the back. Since I had randomised all the gifts I could not really personalise the notes, but from what I heard later all teachers loved their scarves and feathers...



3 comments:

A Mynah Production said...

I love this project of yours! Those feathers are freak'in fantastic! I bet those teachers were thrilled to receive such a gift. It's more intriguing and special to get a gift that's hand made, all the way to it's wrapping. Top notch job lady! :D

syklops said...

Wow! How thoughtful! I love feathers, too and these are nothing short of fabulous. I'm sure those teachers really appreciate your efforts. What a beautiful and unique gift!

Pouringdiva said...

Very nice!!! I love you creativity!!!