Saturday, 27 February 2016
Monday, 22 February 2016
Today I want to share with you all the making of a lot (!) of Valentines I have sent to lots of different people this year. I should explain to the uninitiated that I am not just sending Valentines cards and such to random people, all the recipients are part of an art trading community based in America, so most of the mail went there. We could sign up for sending the Valentines and instead of being assigned a partner we were to send a Valentine to each person that had signed up for it. I admit that a lot more people signed up than I had anticipated and I was very glad I had started work on these in late January.
If you have not yet got your Valentine, the following could ruin the surprise for you and it is entirely up to you to keep reading!!!
Ok, I did want to make different cards for all but I knew I would probably run into time trouble along the way and so I decided to compromise. I took my chalk pastels (or soft pastels) and drew hearts in different colours all over several sheets of paper. And then I chose a different colour for each paper for the background and cut all into four single cards each.
I then sealed the individual cards with a spray sealer ( yes, I could have done that before I cut them but I had just bought a paper cutter and went a bit mad...), wrapped in individual plastic baggies and then I had to get out my good old sewing machine for these...
And this is how I mailed them, the pic was taken before I had to put a huge green customs sticker on each...
So far I have received two of the beauties that are (hopefully) headed my way, no luck in the mailbox today, though. Ah, nothing beats getting reaquainted with anticipation!
Wednesday, 17 February 2016
I really am on a Polymer Clay roll these days, I simply can't stop myself from thinking and making lots of polymer clay stuff. My recent "thing" is making faces with semi translucent beige Sculpey clay, I am hoping to be happy anough with the faces I make myself to make moulds out of them and then reproduce them for tree people, suns, moons and what have you. Basically anything you can possobly put a face on.
Here are some examples of my weird faces...
They all turn out unique, but I have yet to manage one that looks kind of friendly and peaceful. Although... maybe a weird looking sun might be good, too? I think I have to give that one a try soon.
But from the faces I went on to something more fantasy inspired: Dragons. We all love Dragons, don't we? I do, and all of them, the scary western dragons and the benevolent asian dragons. They are all beautiful. So I had a look on good old YouTube and I stumbled across "Velvetorium", an extremely talented lady that make tutorial videos for making polymer clay journal covers, pendants, bracelets and more. Here you can find a link to one of her tutorials (my favourite)
and you can probably see where my inspiration came from. I hope I have enough variation in my Dragon so it is not a copy...
I used Premo! polymer clay (my local art & hobby shop is starting to stock it now) and I found it was much better to handle than the Sculpey III I was using so far. It is slower to condition but because it is not overly soft it does not show fingerprints as much. And the ones you do see are obviously part of the design ;-)
I used Premo! Peacock Pearl for the whole Dragon, with some white for the shaded wings. I think the technique has a name but I don't know it so Here is what I did to get the shading for the wings.
Another polymer clay artist that has a great influence on what and how I do it has been Christi Friesen, I used some of her leaf techniques for the flowers and in the next picture I will show you I used her leaf technique and also made a leaf cane from one of her tutorials but with my own colours.
This particular Dragon was made with Sculpey III.
Just before baking the Dragons I went at them with a fine brush and eyeshadow (mica powder is on order) and emphasized the background textures and also details on the dragons, leaves and flowers.
And now I think I will go and try to make a funny looking sun...
Monday, 8 February 2016
I realise I have not posted in e few weeks, gosh, how time flies! I have been arting lots and lots, but I can not show what I did just yet, I don't want to spoil the surprise for the recipient.
I can however show what else I have been doing, and I have been doing a lot of sculpting with polymer clay in the last few days. And also doing lots of mixed media art, and that is something new to me, I usually like to stick to my paints OR fabrics, but now I am starting to really get into using a variety of materials in my works.
Today I am posting pictures about two small canvas I made for myself. The first uses polymer clay, seed beads, acrylic paints and mica powder. The whole thing is then painted over with a satin waterbased varnish, to protect it from dust and to help the beads stick better in the clay. Next time I will anchor them with wire...
And while I was at it I made another one, but here I used acrylic paints, pearlescent medium for the moon and stars, wire and seed beads. This time only the canvas is varnished. Then I drilled holes in the canvas and attached the tree with matching wire, secured at the back.