Wednesday 1 January 2020

Mushroom Painting Series part 2


What could be a better blogpost in the New Year than to complement and complete a series, so today I am posting the conclusion to my watercolour mushroom series. All paintings are 5“ x 7“, painted with Winsor/Newton professional and Schmincke watercolours on Arches HP 300gsm watercolour paper. I will provide all the information about each fungus to the best of my knowledge, but please, do not (!) take my word for anything without doing your own research. I chose to paint all these particular fungi simply because of the beautiful or odd way they looked, not because they are personal 
friends of mine ;)
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a mushroom expert, NEVER consume any mushrooms you find in the wild unless either you are accompanied by a mushroom professional or you are a mushroom professional yourself!


I will start off today with the first Mushroom I painted for this series.
Cyttaria Gunnii



This one was one of my favourites to paint.
Crucibulum Laeve, commonly known as Birds Nest Fungus.



And another beauty:
Ramaria Apiculata, listens to the common name Green Tipped Coral Fungus.



I could not believe my eyes when I found pictures of this one, it can be very colourful.
Caloscypha Fulgens



We are probably all familiar with the next one, it is poisonous and should not be consumed.
Amanitha Muscaria, the Fly Toadstool.



Of the next one I found many different pictures and for a little while I was confused as to how it actually looked. Then I found out that it can change its colour and appearance as it ripens and I decided to paint all its stages into one painting.

Metatrichia Vesparium, the Wasps Nest Fungus. It resembles a wasps nest more and more the older and dryer it gets.



And last one for today is a fungus native to Ireland.
Psilocybe Cyanescens, also known as Wavy Caps. As the name suggests this one has psychotropic properties and it also contains a blue dye that makes its stem turn bluish when it is bruised or cut.



No comments: